2013 YMCA Annual Celebration and General Meeting
On Wednesday, April 24, the YMCA of Northern Alberta celebrated its 106th Annual General Meeting at the YMCA Welcome Village, and here were a few highlights of this successful event. Click here to view photos from the event.
We presented three scholarship awards:
- The Edwin S. Cook Leadership Scholarship was awarded to Sean Sonego.
- The N. Allen Maydonik Leadership Scholarship was awarded to Ty Kim.
- The Ron Coulombe Joy of Asking Award was presented to Clint Bugga.
- And we announced a new award: The Franco and Barbara Savoia Starbuilder Award, which will be awarded next year to a youth from the YMCA Welcome Village who is pursuing post-secondary education.
Volunteer Appreciation Week was acknowledged and the Bill Rees Volunteer Awards were presented by Bill Rees, Janet Giles and Nick Parkinson to honour significant achievements through volunteerism:
- YMCA Canada - Fellowship of Honour - Recipient: Tim Melton - Click here to view his award video.
- The Spirit Award - Recipient: Barbara Savoia
- Program & Service Volunteer - Recipient: Steve Gray
- Story Teller & Financial Development Volunteer - Recipient: Ami Singh
- Policy Volunteer - Recipient: Doug Schindel
- Youth Volunteer - Recipient: Victor Do
- Volunteer of the Year - Recipient: Dr. John Lilley
We acknowledged the contributions of John Lilley, Bev Sawicki and Doug Schindel as they stepped down after each serving eight years on the board. We elected three new board members: Darren Lunt, Tim Haak and Robert Brassard.
The first official meeting of the new board took place, and the officers were elected: Rod Tweddle, Chair; Nancy Fraser, Vice Chair; and Darren Turchansky, Vice Chair.
Our sincere thanks goes out to all the volunteers and staff who worked so hard to organized and coordinate this important celebration event!